Summer is here!! And we're all looking forward to (hoping for!) some beautiful long, hot summer days. Of course, there are times when hot weather might not be so appealing. Being in your car is probably one of these.
By following these simple tips to get the most out of your vehicle’s air conditioning (A/C) system, you'll be able to stay cool inside, whilst appreciating the sun filled blue skies outside. And because you’re A/C system is not having to work as hard, your car will be more fuel efficient saving you money too. Happy days all around!
- Sounds obvious, but the interior of a car left in direct sunlight could reach up to 70°C. So park in the shade - it stands to reason that it’s not going to get as hot. Or if that’s not an option use a windscreen shade.
- If your car has been parked in the sun, open your windows to vent hot air. Then close your windows and let your air conditioning go to work.
- For faster cooling, use the recirculation system – it uses air which is already cooler than ambient. Set the temperature to fully cold and use the blower fan to regulate the airflow.
- While you may prefer to drive around town with your windows down, keeping them up and the A/C on, keeps you and your passengers comfortable and significantly improves aerodynamics, and in turn, fuel economy on faster roads.
- It pays to run the system for a few minutes at least once a week throughout the year – no matter what the temperature is. This helps to keep the internal components well lubricated and avoid corrosion and even premature wear.
- Change your cabin filter regularly to improve hygiene and air quality, especially if you or your passengers suffer from allergies such as hayfever - it can easily become blocked with pollen, dust etc. A blocked cabin filter will no longer be effective, resulting in a below-par heating and cooling system.
Of course, the best way to keep your A/C system in tip-top condition is to follow the manufacturer’s recommended service schedule. After all, it’s just like any other part of your car and will need regular care and attention. Together with the usage tips above, it will help to ensure you get the most out of your A/C this summer.