You are here
Delphi Ignition Coils
We Researched Why Other Coils Fail. Then Built Ours to Last.
Help ensure fast starts, consistent engine performance and optimized fuel efficiency with Delphi ignition coils. Delphi makes more than 10 million ignition coils for North America each year, and each one is engineered to OE design specifications for vehicles from Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, GM, Mazda, Subaru, Acura and more.
Delphi has analyzed the tough environment that ignition coils must withstand and discovered how vibration, temperature changes and even the failure of other components, such as spark plugs, can cause ignition coils to fail.
Specifically, these stresses can cause ignition coil wiring to break or have shorts. The insulation inside the ignition coil could also fail and cause energy to escape. Delphi is combatting these issues with an innovative design and high-quality materials.
Designed with the Delphi Difference
Delphi ignition coils are designed—and endurance tested—to resist the common stresses that cause failure.
We’ve used our 100 years of OE ignition system experience to create world-leading magnetic design and modeling capabilities.
The result is an efficient coil design that ensures the power in the coil has a streamlined path to the spark plug. This design also reduces the occurrence of shorts inside the ignition coil.
Another Plus: Our Precision Manufacturing Processes
We back up our innovative ignition coil design with intelligent manufacturing. Delphi uses winding process techniques to control the length of wire between adjacent windings. That’s important because more length results in greater voltage differences, which in turn create more pressure that could break down the insulation and wire coating.
More Welds. More Consistency.
Delphi ignition coils feature 6 weld positions, which is typically more than other brands. We also use an electrostatic paint coating, which results in consistent coil inductance and prevents lamination separation.
Greater Insulating Power
We also use an epoxy vacuum technique to reduce air bubbles in the epoxy, since having fewer air bubbles increases the epoxy’s insulation quality and reduces the chances of energy punchthrough failures.
Made with High Quality Materials
Delphi backs its proven ignition coil design with proven materials: High quality wires, as well as high quality wire coating that resists the cracks, pin holes and imperfections that most often lead to failure issues.
Delphi Pencil Coils
Not Just for Indy and Formula One Engines.
Also known as “coil on plug,” Delphi pencil coils replace traditional multiple packs with one single coil design. Pencil coils were developed so the spark and spark timing could be better controlled on an individual cylinder basis. Delphi pencil coils are designed with the newest ignition coil OE technology. Our pencil coils deliver total control with no moving parts and high-RPM capability for performance and reliability customers can trust.
Precision and Control
Delphi pencil ignition coils feature:
- A smaller, more compact design that results in fewer materials and tighter coupling to the electromagnetic circuit. It’s a design that delivers energy more efficiently and continuously to enhance engine performance and optimize fuel efficiency.
- A corona-resistant case, so the coil and integral igniter module are fully encapsulated into one package.
- More precise spark timing response for increased engine performance.
- Direct placement on the spark plug that gives the spark a shorter distance to reach the spark plug. Also, the coil placement provides a perfect fit in the plug hole for effective sealing.
The Delphi Difference
- OE-engineered for efficiency and a streamlined path to spark plug
- Specially designed to reduce shorts inside the ignition coil
- Smart manufacturing controls wire lengths, keeps voltage the same
- High quality wire coating resists imperfections that lead to failure
- Delphi pencil coils use new OE technology to deliver total control