Combined Inverter and DC/DC Converter
OE Part Number
DT Part Number
BMW 225XE (F45) , X1 (F49), M5 Sedan (F60)
What is the difference between an inverter and DC/DC converter in an electric vehicle?
Much like how internal combustion engines and alternators work together on conventional vehicles, hybrid cars and electric motors use inverters and converters to manage power to and from the battery pack to the motors and other on-board systems.
Inverters transform direct current (DC) from the battery into alternating current (AC) to power the vehicle. Inverters also control the motor and convert it to a generator, transferring braking energy back into the battery.
Converters control the DC voltage from the battery, either stepping it up or down based on the system and the power needed. DC/DC converters usually step down the high voltage from the battery pack to the 12-volts used by radios, headlights, and more.
An OE solution for aftermarket power electronics
Inverters and converters work together to manage the vehicle's electric drive and accessory systems. However, many of today’s inverters and converters can be complex, expensive, and prone to failure from excessive heat. They are also heavy and take up a lot of room on the vehicle, compromising both trunk and passenger compartment space. Delphi OE solution combines the inverter and DC/DC converter into one unit.
Delphi CIDD is cost-effective and saves vital weight and space in hybrids (HEV), plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV), and electric vehicles (EV). And by leveraging patented OE technology - Viper-enabled inverter’s double-sided cooling - it tackles the issue of overheating, allowing higher power outputs from a smaller package and increased range.
Combined Inverter and DC/DC Converter (CIDD)
- Enhances durability and reliability through features designed to withstand under the hood and environmental factors such as debris and temperature extremes.
- Improves voltage distribution functionality, enabling both low-side and high-side power for everything from headlights to power steering and air conditioning systems.
- Provides maximum packaging flexibility and space savings by moving the DC/DC unit from its standard location in the rear to the front of the vehicle.
- Enables better power range and minimizing power losses through the elimination of cabling, cooling hoses, connections, and housings, all while simplifying maintenance and repair.
To learn more about OE quality aftermarket EV parts you can trust, contact your Delphi representative today.
The Delphi Difference
100 years of OE experience, supplier to the world’s top automakers
OE heritage and knowledge built into every aftermarket part
Comprehensive portfolio for a wide range of vehicles and model years
Streamlined SKUs for easy inventory management
Support through tools, tips and training
Related product resources and downloads
How to get to grips with EV connectors
How to use an approved EV charger
Hybrid vehicles | #DTmasterclass
Hybrid and electric vehicles. Driving an electric future?
Electric vehicles in the aftermarket: Are you ready for the repair?
Delphi Aftermarket Announces Global Power Electronics Program for Rapidly Growing Electrified Market
Core Return Form - Power Electronics
- Combined inverters & DC/DC converters
- On-board chargers
- Power Electronics